Friday, October 9, 2015

Where were you?

Where were you when I came to get my abortion here?

Shawn Carney -- National 40 Days for Life Campaign Director -- heard words like those at an early 40 Days for Life. They were spoken by a fellow prayer volunteer not really expecting an answer.

But those words have resonated with me. For three days in a row, I have covered 3 p.m. at the prayer vigil, the Hour of Mercy. Monday was slow, but on Tuesday, there were boyfriends, husbands and friends coming to pick up women who needed rides home after their abortions.

One young man in long shorts with a Superman logo bounced down the steps to get the car, not realizing that he had already failed his job -- to protect his girlfriend and their child.

A big, black SUV pulled out of the parking lot and into the driveway. I could see the passenger -- a dark-haired woman with an unbelievable amount of despair on her face.

I put my hand on my heart and mouthed the words, "God bless you." She never looked away from me as the car drove past, her eyes locked on mine.

Last night at the vigil, there were volunteers praying for the woman I saw and for all the other women who had scheduled appointments. Whoever they are, for whatever reason they come, the prayer volunteers were joined in love, praying that these women find they help they need.

There is always a counseling and prayer presence on "procedure days," but we -- the faithful standing vigil -- are here every day, 24 hours a day, seven days a week during 40 Days for Life.

Where were you when I came to get my abortion here?

We are here. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment